I too have the same fridge (K 14820 SD ed/cs) and yep - the exact same issue. This product matches the "side by side" style freezer, (I have the freezer too) which incidentally has the exact same handle - but the refrigerator handle should be WAY more robust for the fridge because of course, (1) it will have more frequent usage and (2) it will have items in the door, making it a heavier door to open. (Did the designer/s not factor these obvious points into the design?)
My freezer door handle (you'll notice it in one of the photos) has never yet needed to be replaced and that's since 2011 when both items were delivered, and is still going strong.
I already paid (2 years ago) for a new handle for the fridge. The handle was then cracked and wobbly so I had to replace it.
Having realised just a couple months ago that the fridge handle seemed to be becoming a little loose/wobbly (again!) - this morning (12/10/16) it actually came off in my hand! It's completely sheared off. A nasty crack being the cause. This is clearly a design fault! This handle has only been going and in use for 2 years! So far therefore, it seems that this will happen every 2-3 years!? Madness! I cannot afford that! The handle itself is ridiculously heavy. There's no wonder that the thinner part of the aluminium mechanism cannot withstand repeated opening and closing of the fridge door, and it's at this same 'pressure' point where the handle has simply sheared off. It is a definite design fault!
We are NOT heavy handed. My husband works full time. My daughter is at school she's 13. I work part time. Therefore, it's not as if there's 20 people here full time, constantly using the fridge.
My advice is - DO NOT BUY THIS ITEM, NOR ANY OTHER THAT HAS THE SAME STYLE OF HANDLE WITH THE SAME USEAGE EXPECTATION.
Miele have advised me to return the handle - which will be very expensive for me as its so heavy! I had saved and treated myself to these products and I wish I had never done so. I shall never buy a Miele product again. Oxon customer services are unsympathetic and frankly have not been very helpful so far. Onus seems to be always, but always, on the customer. This makes me feel like upmarket brands act arrogant just because of who they are.
More Review Details
|Style and Design|
|Diversity of Products or Services|
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
|Product or Service Quality|
|Value for money|
|Ease of Use|
- Reason of review:
- Bad quality
- Preferred solution:
- 1. Answer my review point by point. 2. Send 2 x new handles to me WITHOUT ANY CHARGE so that I have at least 4 more years use out of an otherwise great fridge!
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Miele Refrigerator K14820 Sd Ed Cs
- Review category
- Appliances and Electronics
You May Also Like
- "Hello My name is Janie Long. I bought a new Wave oven and after about 6 times of using it the dome crack's in half. The heating element still works..."
- "Copy of E-mail I sent GE:I spent thousands of $$$ on putting all monogram appliances into my re-modeled home, purchased from Spencerâ€™s in Phoenix AZ.The Refrigerator (ZISS480DRISS) brokeâ€¦of course following..."
- "My Latest Experience with Sony Corporation of America Event # E58894537 Service Notification: 301547845 Order # 36065586 1. I own Sony’s Flagship SACD Player, the SCD-1, cost: $5,000.00. It should be mentioned, this player..."
- " I purchased the above nail strengthener to help my finger nails as they were splitting and my other nails had long ridges in them. After using the above product on..."
- "I purchase this ring and within 3 months found it had chipped, I returned to Earnest Jones where I was told the ring would need to sent off to their..."
- "I love I love kickboxing hence the name :) it's like burning massive calories at a party, cause the music is pumping and you just have fun whilst working out...."
- "I CAN NOT MAKE THESE PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THAT WHAT I RECEIVED WAS NOT WHAT I ORDERED. THEY JUST KEEP TELLING ME THAT ACCORDING TO THE RECEIPT THAT MY ORDER WAS..."
- "Stay far away from this low life company as possible. They delivered our entire belongings to a two small storage facility and never called us or notified us they were..."