Miele's published promise to it's customers is "Immer besser" or "Forever Better". They also claim "Unparraleled quality and impeccable craftsmanship", and also states "...customers willing to pay a premium should receive premium service..." and also "..the Miele brand is now identified with unsurpassed product quality>"
In my recent experience these claims are hogwash!
After careful research and in anticipation of making a wise choice that would give us years of satisfaction, we purchased a $3,400.00 (plus tax! ), Miele Island Hood (DA2700), which we had installed in our new kitchen in late September 2005.
This last September, 2010, the motor began to squeak and emit grinding sounds some days. Thinking it was something minor, and being busy, we ignored it as something minor.
Just before Christmas it got loader and almost constant.
Because we were going skiing over the holidays we decided we'd call Miele Canada service upon our return, which we did in early January, and also sent them an e.mail outlining the problem/
In our e.mail to Miele, we stated that we were dissapointed in the short Motor life of such an expensive appliance, and also pointed out that because we were out of the country for 3 months every year, the motor had actually only lasted and operated for approx 3.75 years, in a normal 2 child plus 2 adult household.
We also mentioned that Miele's brochure specifically stated the hood came..."equipped with a unique double-sided impeller, which improves performance and extends the life of the motor." and surely Miele, like us, could not be happy with the failure of the motor after such a short period of use.
We also pointed out that we had done nothing wrong, except use the hood as advertised and supplied, and in accordance with Miele's instruction manuals, and respectfully requested that miele accept responsibility for providing us (inadvertently we were sure), a rare, substandard product that failed to meet both our and Miele's customer satisfaction standards..
i.e. The motor was claimed by Miele:-to have an extended motor life. To be of unparalelled quality and impeccable craftsmanship; and of unsurpassed quality, all of which it obviosly was not!
We felt misled and disapointed and respectfully requested that both the labour and part necessary to remedy their defective product be supplied at to charge to us.
We also requested that a copy of our e.mail be forwarded to their vice President for consideration.
When the courteous Miele serviceman arrived, I asked him why the motor on such an expensive appliance would fail so early, He said he did not know, but as there was cooking oil on the inside surfaces of the stainless steel permanent filters, he believed it was because oil had gotten into the motor. I replied, We did not design the filters, washed them whenever the red light said we should, and that if oil had gotten past the filters, it was Miele's poor filter design that allowed it, and was not because we did or failed to do anything- but use it strictly in accordance with Miele's user manual.
On further questioning, the service man said that oil residue from cooking had got into the motor bearings and gummed them up!
I could not believe my ears! Don't tell me Miele does not use Sealed Bearings in the Motor??? and he replied "...well -half sealed..."
Knowing that sealed bearing cost pennies more than non sealed bearings, I was outraged and said "What did Miele expect to happen??? DUH??? This appliance is designed to work in a fume and oil impregnated environment and if Miele failed to supply or design a motor specifically to work in such an environment, this was not my fault but the sole fault of Miele's negligence and I did not want to pay top dollar for sub standard product that was falsely advertised to me.
Long & the short of it is, not only did we not get any reply from their Vice President or any other senior representative, not only did I have to wait for long periods for Miele customer care to even answer their computerised phone system, Not only did I have to leave several messages on several extensions, but when I finally got a call from a Miele representative, he appeared to be unaware of the fact that non sealed bearing were used, but did not even know that the Stainless steel filters were permanent and dishwasher safe, but asked me if I had ever changed the filters or bought new ones! The hopeless individual did not even understand his own product!
Desperate to use our Exhaust hood, and exhausted from dealing with such an unethical bunch of people, I simply said "Look, we are separate for the repairs as we cannot cook on our gas stove without an exhaust fan, it is now deep winter weather and I have children in school who need to be fed cooked meals, just fix it and I'll pay.
Miele's kind, but obviously hampered by company policy, service men returned today, and replaced the motor at a cost to us of $465.00 (tax inc). We are really disappointed at Miele's false promises, seemingly false advertising, and total disregard for their up to now, loyal customers. We will never recommend Miele appliances to anyone in future. Buyer beware!
More Review Details
- Product or service
- Miele Da270 Island Hood
- Review category
- Appliances and Electronics
You May Also Like
- "Miele Washing Machine: I bought trash at the price of gold (€1350!!!!!!!!) I bought a new MIELE W 5100 Ecocare washing machine in 2012 (it’s now 4 years old) in Cyprus...."
- "Please read reviews prior to ordering from this company, I wish I had. Ordered a 48” Broan Range Hood $1,100.00. Arrived in box that look undamaged (same as..."
- "I purchased 2 two nu wave oven and both went through the same failure , dome crack. Other problem is that the unit at a year start losing the..."
- "I have used this Florist for the past several years and they produced beautiful flower arrangements at a great price. Even used them for my father-in-law's funeral. Though..."
- "I was a professional model with beautiful long natural hair. After using this product my scalp and face broke out in boils and my hair fell out in chunks. This..."
- "Since I listen and comment on the posts a lot I just want to give everyone a heads up on this site I used to create a resume. It's called..."
- "I took my daughter and 3 of her friends to Sky Zone in Florence, AL. Before I attempted the Warrior Course, I asked the girl that was working the section..."
- " HP PC's - Urgent - DO NOT BUY - Rubbish After Sales. So the story is, HP agree to pick up my PC for repair when the PC has..."
- "Do not buy from this company. I bought items on Oct 11th for my daughters birthday and I still have not received them.I have sent numerous emails and all I..."